Broad Community Connections is hiring! We are excited to be partnering with the Tulane Center for Public Service to bring aboard a Commercial Revitalization + Community Development Associate starting this summer.
For more information, please see the full job description, which can be viewed here and below.
Applications are due on Friday, June 9th, and should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Broad Community Connections and Tulane AmeriCorps VISTA–Commercial Revitalization + Community Development Associate
Catalyzing small business, real estate, and community development in the Broad Street communities.
About Broad Community Connections
Broad Community Connections' missions is to revitalize Broad Street from Tulane Avenue to Bayou Road as a vibrant commercial district, bringing together the surrounding neighborhoods and promoting their economic, residential, and cultural development. BCC is a community development organization that undertakes catalytic real estate development projects, supports small business development, promotes equitable and vibrant neighborhoods, and enhances the built environment.
About AmeriCorps VISTA
VISTA (Volunteers In Service To America) was founded in 1965 as a national service program to fight poverty in America. AmeriCorps VISTA is a program of the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS). About 8,000 VISTAs are placed each year in more than 1,100 projects in low-income communities around the country.
Each VISTA member makes a year-long, full-time commitment to serve at a nonprofit organization or public agency. In return for their service, AmeriCorps VISTA members receive a modest living allowance and health benefits during their service, and have the option of receiving a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award or post-service stipend after completing their service.
VISTA members generally do not provide direct services. Instead, they focus their efforts on building the organizational, administrative, and financial capacity of organizations that fight foster economic development, alleviate poverty, improve health services, and otherwise assist low-income communities. VISTAs develop programs to meet a need, write grants, and recruit and train volunteers. For more information about AmeriCorps VISTA, visit www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps.
About the AmeriCorps VISTA Program at Tulane
The Center for Public Service (CPS) at Tulane University partners with Broad Community Connections to serve as the connection to the AmeriCorps National Service Network. Through this Tulane partnership, AmeriCorps VISTAs participating in this program participate in weekly professional development trainings with a cohort of fellow VISTA members, and have access to free Tulane University housing located in the Central Business District. VISTA volunteers in this program receive support from Tulane CPS throughout the VISTA year, and serve as a liaison between Broad Community Connections and Tulane University.
Commercial Revitalization + Community Development Associate Key Duties
The Commercial Revitalization + Community Development Associate position is an ideal position for AmeriCorps candidates who are passionate about community development and the revitalization of underserved communities. The position will work directly with the Executive Director to develop and execute strategies for holistically revitalizing Broad Street and the surrounding communities that are fundamentally shaped by the business owners, residents, and stakeholders whom BCC serves. The position will focus on developing and coordinating programs for commercial corridor revitalization, small business development, and outreach and communications.
Commercial Corridor Revitalization
- Engage and coordinate small business and property owners to address needs and opportunities in the Broad Street commercial district, and convene regular meetings.
- Create and disseminate marketing and outreach materials that highlight Broad Street as a commercial and mixed-use destination, including a Broad Street and Bayou Road guidebook.
- Recruit new small businesses, property owners, and investment to the Broad Street and Bayou Road commercial district.
- Assist in the development of catalytic community real estate development projects.
- Create and regularly update a data collection system on the business and property activity in the Broad Street commercial district.
- Catalog properties along Broad Street and create asset, vacancy, and blight maps, as well as strategies for capitalizing on such information.
- Conduct focus groups with business owners and stakeholders to identify challenges, needs, and opportunities in the Broad Street communities.
- Develop case statements for small business assistance programs and tools, including technical assistance and sources of funding.
- Coordinate and assist in advocacy efforts for investment in public rights of way, including Broad Street and the Lafitte Greenway.
- Assist in the development of existing and new programs to support commercial and mixed use development, including the Iconic Signage Project and 100 Trees for Broad and Bayou Road.
Community Outreach and Communications
- Produce ongoing email and social media communications for BCC, Broad Street businesses, and BCC partners.
- Create business profiles highlighting Broad Street businesses
- Update business directory and Broad Street marketing materials
- Recruit, train, and coordinate volunteers to participate in Broad Street events and programs.
- Engage community members in the development of Broad Street.
- Develop strong partnerships with community, organizational, and institutional partners and stakeholders.
- Serve as an ambassador to the business community and Broad street neighborhoods through public presentations, outreach, social media, newsletters, flyering, and educational activities.
- Further existing partnerships with Tulane University, and develop new collaborations with Tulane and other universities.
- Identify and support the pursuit of public and philanthropic grant and funding opportunities that support commercial corridor revitalization and small business development activities.
- Assist in the planning and production of events and fundraisers.
- Research and identify individual, corporate, and foundation prospects. Draft and assemble reports, proposals and solicitations to foundations and other donors.
- Passion for the mission of Broad Community Connections and a desire to deeply engage and help to lead community development efforts.
- Passion for AmeriCorps and its model of National Service.
- Holds a high school degree or equivalent with 2 years of professional experience. Candidates with a bachelor’s degree in an applicable field of study are preferred.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to pay attention to details and to handle multiple tasks under tight deadlines.
- Self-directed, able to develop personal work plan, and to work both independently and collaboratively with partners.
- Knowledge and passion for issues relating to community and economic development, small business development, urban planning, public health, and public policy.
- Strong communication, written, verbal and tactical skills.
- Proficient computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite, social media, and Internet navigation. Desire to learn geographic information systems a plus.
- Trust-builder who can develop and maintain relationships with various community stakeholders and build consensus, and a passion for being accountable to the communities being served.
- Ability to communicate respectfully, easily, and well with people of all social and cultural backgrounds, ages, and experience levels.
- Contributes to creating a work and learning environment and culture that is positive, inclusive, and committed to serving the needs of the community.
- Maintains discretion, particularly when dealing with constituents in the community.
- Flexible, adaptable, positive attitude. Open to feedback and willing to learn new tools and techniques.
- Ability to travel within the New Orleans area.
- Ability to lift equipment (up to 30 lbs.)
- Flexible hours with ability to work some nights and weekends.
Duration of Service
The duration of service is a 12-month, full-time term beginning July 2017. VISTA volunteers may be invited to return for a second year of service.
Modest AmeriCorps living allowance and health benefits during term of service; option to receive a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award or post-service stipend after completing service. Housing is provided by Tulane University.
Interested? Great! We’re looking forward to hearing from you.
Submit resumés to email@example.com by 9 June 2017.
If you don’t have a computer, no problem. You can mail or drop your résumé at our office, located at:
Broad Community Connections
300 N Broad Street, Suite 208
New Orleans, LA 70119
For more information about Broad Community Connections visit www.broadcommunityconnections.org.
Broad Community Connections Is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Broad Community Connections provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Broad Community Connections complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Broad Community Connections celebrates difference and expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Broad Community Connections employees to perform their expected job duties is absolutely not tolerated.